There are still first times waiting

A few evenings ago, I stood looking towards the Baltic Sea.
The sky couldn't quite decide what colour it wanted to be.
A little blue.
A little pink.
A little gold.

The bushes in front of me moved gently with the wind, and for a while, nobody seemed to be in a hurry.
Not even the clouds.

Baltic Sea with colourful evening sky and coastal bushes in Denmark

Then I looked at my daughter.
She was standing at the water's edge, completely fascinated by the sea.
It was her first time here.
She watched every wave as if it had travelled all this way just to say hello.
And for a moment, I found myself seeing everything through her eyes.

🩷🩷🩷

It made me smile.
Because somewhere along the way, many of us quietly stop expecting life to surprise us.
We think we've seen enough.
Done enough.
Experienced enough.

As if the most exciting chapters belong to people who are younger, braver, or somehow luckier.

🩷🩷🩷

Walking back later that evening, another thought stayed with me.
Not about the sea.
Not even about Denmark.
About life.

🩷🩷🩷

There was a time when a family holiday like this lived in the category of maybe one day.
One day when the timing is right.

One day when the finances make more sense.
One day when I won't have to think twice about it.
Funny how quietly those thoughts can disappear.
Not because someone convinces us they are wrong.
But because life slowly begins to write a different story.

🩷🩷🩷

Looking back, I can't point to one single moment that changed everything.

It wasn't dramatic.
It wasn't one big decision.
It was a collection of small promises I kept to myself.
Small steps.
Small moments.
Small reminders that perhaps more was possible than I had believed.

🩷🩷🩷

By the time we reached our Airbnb again, the sky had almost turned grey.

The sea was still there.
Calm.
Unbothered.
As if it had known all along that there was nowhere else we needed to be.

🩷🩷🩷

Maybe that is what I brought home with me.
Not just beautiful photographs.
Not just memories.
But a quiet reminder that life never really runs out of first times.
Sometimes they arrive as a place you've never visited.
Sometimes as a dream that no longer feels far away.

And sometimes...
they arrive as a version of yourself who finally believes she belongs there.

With light & love 🩷,
Signature Manuela Portmann

P.S. Want to dive deeper?

Then the Spirit & Brain Spark is ready to land in your inbox. It’s filled with little reflections, quiet “aha” moments, and, as a welcome gift, your 3-Minute Heart Moment. [Treat yourself to your Spirit & Brain Spark here].

Popular posts from this blog

Manchmal rauscht es einfach

The Frequency of 'Not Yet'

Not perfect. Still continuing...